Thursday, December 6, 2007

Waffle House, Waffle Yes

What is amazing to me is that the soft yellow glow of the Waffle House sign still gives me joy. We ate their late last night; and getting out of my car and walking across a Waffle House parking lot still makes me happy--because I know what is inside--pure goodness. There are three here in town--one less than a mile from our loft. Ah . . . yeah.

I remarked to someone the other day that I think every town in Georgia has a Waffle House--it is true. They're everywhere. Heck, less than ten miles from where I sit, there are Waffle Houses across the interstate from each other.

Of course, our visit last night was as good as any. That's the greatness of it--awesome and yet consistent. And, oh my, they have added something to their menu--biscuits and gravy--finally. When you think about it, this is something they should have had all along--being a Southern staple. Waffles, double hashbrowns smothered and covered, and biscuits and gravy (no that was not my entire meal--we shared it). Mmm--that brings me some joy.

Life moves along well for us. Lauren will be finished with school next Tuesday--we are looking forward to that. Has been a good semester. We have a big youth Christmas deal on Saturday--it has been a really busy week at the church for me. We are looking forward to getting to come to Texas for a good visit here in a few weeks. My sister is going to fly out for a few days before we drive to the nation of Texas and then ride back to the Lone Star State with us.

We had a Deacon Christmas Party on Monday night--a bluegrass/western quartet came and played some for us. Was really good. They played this one song, "Cross the Brazos at Waco" that talked a lot about Texas. Lots of people turned around and looked at me. They know the Texan in the room.

I am watching the Mavs struggle through another one. Man, they are not doing well. And, we are not able to see many of their games here of late. Maybe that is for the best, as they go through their woes. My theory is Avery is just sort of playing around, not pushing anyone too much, trying to figure out different line-ups until later in the season--then they will really turn it up later in the season and as the playoffs begin (rather than trying to calm down at the end of the season, then have to really turn it back on when the playoffs begin). At least that is my theory--I guess it makes me feel better about it all.


--be

1 comment:

Rhylan said...

The problem with the Mavs right now is that they're not playing D. I get the whole thing about pacing yourself over the regular season, but I just don't think Avery or the team has figured out how to do it yet - it's translating into crappy defense.