Monday, October 22, 2007

Weekend in the Southeast

On Friday night, Lauren and I went to the Carrollton football game in Sandy Creek, just south of Atlanta. We actually lost--it was strange. The stars aligned just right on that night for us to lose. Oh well. It is always strange to go to road games where we have twice as many people at the game than the home team. I bet they did not have one-third of their stands full. The P.A. announcer was the biggest homer I have ever heard--ridiculous--that stuff should not be allowed. He was continually telling the Sandy Creek crowd to yell and support their team. To the point of it being stupid. Also, they allow artificial noise-makers at high school games in Georgia, which is a bit different.

After the game, we went through Peachtree City on the way back. Peachtree City is the aforementioned city with over 100 miles of golf cart trails. Many of their residents just have a golf cart they drive around town, rather than a car. We have heard stories of some of them really souping their golf carts up--with shocks, speakers, etc.--just keeping up with the Jones', I guess. Anyway, it was funny to see a golf cart parked at Kroger's.

On Saturday, Lauren studied all day--fun, huh? I went to my first SEC football game. Wow. That's all I have to say. Tennesse at Alabama. Bryant-Denny Stadium holds 92,1832 people. It was incredible. We grabbed a pork bbq sandwich on the walk over to the stadium. I figured out my error in trying to eat bbq in the southeast. I keep expecting the beef bbq to be good here--like Texas beef brisket good. Rather than doing that, I should just go with the pork, I guess. It was awesome. This stuff had been cooking all night long. And, they did right what so many places do wrong here--they actually doused it in bbq sauce. So many places around here believe the sauce should not be poured all over it--they think the bbq should stand for itself. Whatever--that's just cause they must not have good sauce. This was incredible.

Then, I grabbed a hot dog at the game--very interesting. Can't say that I really liked it this way--but it was interesting. It was full of sweet onions and a mixture of chili and mustard. Different. But interesting. On the way home, we stopped at a Golden Rule BBQ--in Pell City, not the one in Birmingham. They have great fries. I had a double stack burger--with mustard and barbeque sauce. Was not the best burger ever--but it got me to thinking--barbeque sauce on a burger. Why, yes, brilliant! I have had it before but this reminded me about it--what a great idea.

'Bama started the game off with an onside kick that they recovered. It was pure awesomeness from then on. They kicked Tennessee all over the field, 42-17. Was close for a while, then it just got funny. 'Bama has a pretty good team. Give Saban a few years; and they will be contending for a national championship. Roll tide roll.

Today, I was reminded that we really do live in a beautiful place. I went up to Clarkesville for a funeral for some church members--a little over two hours northeast of here, in the foothills of the Appalachians, almost in South Carolina. It is a beautiful place. It's close to the town of Helen, which I have heard is an absolutely gorgeous place.


--be

1 comment:

Rhylan said...

Two things..

First, Gatesville had a SnoBiz that was at least twice that size - remember?

Second, I am pretty sure Whataburger started in Louisiana, so why wouldn't they have any in the southeast?