Saturday, September 1, 2007

People Talking Out of Their Heads

Why do people get such enjoyment out of telling others news? Lauren and I went to the opening football game for Central High School last night. They got to 2:30 left in the first quarter; and they had to stop the game because lightning was spotted. Once lightning is spotted in Georgia, you must stop the game until 30 minutes from the last spot of lightning (we also heard another interesting tidbit on the radio--if two teams from different classifications are playing each other and it gets to 11:30 p.m., they must stop the game immediately. If the teams are from the same classifications, they can play on indefinitely. Hmm--somebody really thought that one out).

Anyway, we went to our car and waited for an hour to see if they would begin again. At that point, a lady went throughout the parking lot, yelling to everyone that the game would be delayed until 11:30 a.m. the next morning. So, we thought okay, we'll come back in the morning. Well we read the paper this morning--and the game was finished . . . LAST NIGHT. After an hour and a half delay, they finished the game. That lady did not know what she was talking about. She just heard something, most probably a rumor-then got joy from telling others how it is. Thanks, lady. Thanks a lot.

Central wound up losing. But, Carrollton High, the other team here won--they (a 3A team) beat a pretty good 5A team. Ought to be a fun football season. Also, I found out this week that Carrollton High is the 17th most winning football program in the entire nation (for teams having played over 300 games)--how bout that.

We did get to see one of the strangest things ever last night. On the opening kickoff, we kicked to them. One of our kids actually tackled one of his own teammates--they were both running down the field to try to tackle the other team. I am still not sure I understand what happened there. Veyr strange. I hope the poor guy just got confused or something.

I played golf yesterday afternoon and learned why people do not walk playing golf out here--humidity and hills. Oh, wow. I went out to Bowdon, about 10 miles from Carrollton--where I was told I could walk and play for $10. I thought, wow, even if it is a goat ranch, it's just $10. Only problem is it is a Par 3 course--would have been nice to know. I got out there and thought I would go ahead and play it since I drove out to play it. Let's just put it this way--the speed of the greens depended upon how much sand was on them--they were overseeding them. After nine holes, I had had enough of the sand, the hills and humidity, and the slow play (the group in front of me took 20 minutes to play a 151 yard hole)--so I left. Went out to a course here in Carrollton and finished up my 18--much better. Played pretty well, too, for the first time since we have been here.

We're going to the Braves game today.


--be

2 comments:

Folks said...

Wow. Some very interesting stuff.
I guess you would like to choke that lady.
I guess you heard Hamilton beat Hico over at Tarleton State University in Stephenville.
You guys should have a busy and fun football season.

Folks said...

met a lady and her daughter from Douglasville today
the young woman (the daughter)goes to college in Carrollton
small world